Radon can’t be seen, tasted, or smelled. It CAN, however, lurk in your home without your knowledge and potentially cause cancer if you don't take precautions soon enough. According the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), radon is the leading cause of lung cancer for nonsmokers.
Homes across the entire state of Iowa, in every county, are at HIGH risk for radon gas. The Iowa Department of Public Health reports that Iowa has the largest percentage of homes above 4.0 picocuries per liter of air. This is the level at which the EPA recommends you take action to return your home to a safer level.
Any type of home can have high levels of radon, so it’s vitally important that your home be tested and treated promptly if necessary.